A number of high-profile technology companies have recently composed and adopted a pledge to implement and improve defensive measures for computer and network security.
“Cybersecurity Tech Accord”
ABB, ARM, Avast, Bitdefender, BT, CA Technologies, Cisco, Cloudflare, DataStax, Dell, DocuSign, Facebook, Fastly, FireEye, F-Secure, GitHub, Guardtime, HP, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Intuit, Juniper Networks, LinkedIn, Microsoft, Nielsen, Nokia, Oracle, RSA, SAP, Stripe, Symantec, Telefónica, Tenable, Trend Micro, and VMware, April 17, 2018
Malicious actors, with motives ranging from criminal to geopolitical, have inflicted economic harm, put human lives at risk, and undermined the trust that is essential to an open, free, and secure internet. Attacks on the availability, confidentiality, and integrity of data, products, services, and networks have demonstrated the need for constant vigilance, collective action, and a renewed commitment to cybersecurity.
Protecting our online environment is in everyone's interest. Therefore we — as enterprises that create and operate online technologies — promise to defend and advance its benefits for society. Moreover, we commit to act responsibly, to protect and empower our users and customers, and thereby to improve the security, stability, and resilience of cyberspace.
To this end, we are adopting this Accord and the principles below:
1. WE WILL PROTECT ALL OF OUR USERS AND CUSTOMERS EVERYWHERE. …
2. WE WILL OPPOSE CYBERATTACKS ON INNOCENT CITIZENS AND ENTERPRISES FROM ANYWHERE.
▪ We will protect against tampering with and exploitation of technology products and services during their development, design, distribution and use.
▪ We will not help governments launch cyberattacks against innocent citizens and enterprises from anywhere.
3. WE WILL HELP EMPOWER USERS, CUSTOMERS AND DEVELOPERS TO STRENGTHEN CYBERSECURITY PROTECTION. …
4. WE WILL PARTNER WITH EACH OTHER AND WITH LIKEMINDED GROUPS TO ENHANCE CYBERSECURITY.
Observing these principles will require some extreme adjustments in corporate culture and business models for some of these companies. I hope it happens, but I'm not expecting anything.